FORT MEADE, Md. -- Col. Danny B.N. Jaghab, commander of the Fort Meade Medical Activity and Kimbrough Ambulatory Care Center announced reductions in service through the remainder of fiscal year 2013. He wrote: Dear Kimbrough patients:
Due to congressionally mandated sequestration and administrative furloughs, Kimbrough Ambulatory Care Center is required to reduce its services beginning Friday.
On behalf of the staff and beneficiaries, Kimbrough's leadership is working hard to mitigate the disruption to the livelihood of its civilian workforce and the impact on the services rendered.
In addition, we would like to thank you for your patience during this period as we make the appropriate changes in staffing and access to care.
Kimbrough's staff is made up of more than 450 civilian employees who represent approximately 80 percent of its workforce. We are required to furlough the civilian workforce one day per week.
The vast majority will be furloughed on Fridays. With the exception of pre-scheduled appointments, Kimbrough will be closed on Fridays through Sept. 30.
In addition, all routine outpatient care such as pharmacy, laboratory and radiology will be closed. However, we expect most services to be available at typical levels Monday through Thursday.
Anticipate delays during this period as a result of the decrease in services.
The following details regarding available services, where and how to access care on Fridays through Sept. 30 include:
* Active-duty service members will be able to schedule same-day acute appointments and Periodic Health Assessments in Primary Care through the call center at 301-677-8800 from 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Defense Information School students will continue to be seen on-site as they are now.
* Family members and retirees who have medical needs on Fridays should seek care at the nearest urgent care facility.
For assistance in locating an urgent care facility, visit hnfs.com or call 1-877-874-2273.
Following your visit at an urgent care facility, notify your primary care team using Relay Health or by calling Kimbrough's call center on the following business day at 301-677-8800.
Urgent care on all other days still requires pre-authorization by contacting the call center.
* Operating rooms and specialty care will continue to function with limited capacity and will care for patients by pre-scheduled appointments only. For an appointment, call 301-677-8800.
* Behavioral Health services will continue to be available on the second floor of Building 2481, Rascon Center. Coordinate care by calling 301-677-8895 or walk over between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
* Both the main pharmacy and refill pharmacy will be closed Fridays.
Either visit Monday to Thursday or consider the TRICARE Mail Order Pharmacy program for home delivery of your regular medications.
For more information, visit tricare.mil/homedelivery or call 1-877-363-1303.
* To improve health care access and assist us in caring for patients who require face-to-face treatment, cancel any appointments you cannot keep at least 24 hours in advance, but up to the time of the appointment.
This single initiative will maximize the amount of care available to other patients.
To cancel an appointment, call 301-677-8800. You may leave a message with your cancellation information without waiting.
The following are alternate methods for scheduling or canceling appointments:
* TriCare online at tricareonline.com is now accessible using a single registration for the entire family.
* Relay Health Secure Messaging System is an online service that allows you to email questions to your health care team, request medication refills, and more.
For more information about Relay Health Secure Messaging, visit relayhealth.com or speak to the front-desk medical support assistant about how to register.
For more information and up-to-date news about our services during the furlough, visit Kimbrough's webpage at http://kacc.narmc.amedd.army.mil or visit us on Facebook at facebook.com/KimbroughCARES.
Thank you for your patience during this difficult period. We remain committed to doing everything possible to maintain high quality care throughout the furlough.
If you have recommendations or feedback, contact our patient representative at 301-677-8800 or at email@example.com.
Fort Meade Soundoff!